I absolutely love high fashion – and I know you do, too. What I don’t love is the high price tag that often accompanies each piece and in some occasions, its level of impracticality in everyday wear. However, your next door department store has collaborated with these designers and is making their designs more accessible to a larger and more varied audience. Take the Swedish retailer H&M, who has been collaborating with designers since 2004 to include Versace, Lanvin, Stella McCartney, Karl Lagerfield, and Cavalli. Each collaboration has a specific purpose, whether to reach a different audience or to spread their ethical views (Stella McCartney and the push to use organic cotton for H&M). Below are five current or upcoming inspired capsule collections to keep an eye out for:
1) Anna Karenina for Banana Republic – A film adaptation from Leo Tolstoy’s novel, this collection was curated by on-set costume designer, Jacqueline Durran. Set during the 19th century in Russia, the collection features portraits of high society in Russia including black faux-fur, lace skirts and tops, and beaded jewelry.
(Photo Credit: bananarepublic.com)
2) Narcisco Rodriguez for Kohl’s – Inspired by his trip to Istanbul, Turkey, Narcisco Rodriguez’s timeless and modern approach is reflected in his upcoming Kohl’s collection. Pieces include minimalist designs, bold colors and lots of color blocking.
(Photo Credit: http://www.fashioncents.com)
3) Maison Martin Margiela for H&M – Coming to stores on November 15th, this is a glimpse of what will be in stores then. Oversized, out of proportion tops and bottoms, inside-out seams and two-concept styles overwhelm his collection.
(Photo Credit: Margiela with H&M Arrives)
4) Prabal Gurung for Target – Debuting on February 10th, 2013 for Target, Prabal Gurung’s collection is inspired by the confident woman – featuring pieces that combine graphic detailing and American sportswear.
(Photo Credit: Prabal Gurung for Target)
5) Duro Olowu for JCPenney – Nigerian-born London-based designer will debut his collection for JCPenney in March 2013. Look out for pieces that combine “American classic shapes with the global flair”, as stated by Duro Olowu for Instyle.com.
So there you have it – five of the most coveted upcoming capsule collections. Will you be first in line? I know I will be!